Sleeve Notes 101: Rose Soup Anyone?

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Rose Soup Anyone?

An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make a better soup. -- H. L. Mencken

I'm really good at telling people what to do! I come up with great ideas and then have no problem laying those brilliant ideas on others to implement. Let's just say, I have some great recipes for rose soup!

I'm a dreamer who, a lot of times, has difficulty differentiating between the dream and reality. If it sounds good in my head, then it's going to be even better in reality. Except that often times the reality ends up tasting like a steaming bowl of rose soup. For those that don't know...it's pretty nasty (yes...I've tried it)!

Often times, my great ideas end up leaving those that I am trying to better feeling like I've just set off a stink bomb in their lives. I run in, all jazzed by my brilliance, get everyone else all jazzed up, then run off, leaving just the recipe that I've created in my head. Being an idealist means that I don't have to taste my recipe before hand. I already know what it tastes like...in my mind.

Meatloaf is a big favorite in my house. In fact, it's probably the favorite meal. One day, with a little time on my hands, I decided to add my own spin to the meatloaf. I whipped it all together and threw it into the oven. An hour later, the smell was wonderful and mouths were salivating. I quickly pulled out the plates and dished them up. Because I tend to run 100 miles per hour, after handing the plates out, I needed to do a few things before actually sitting down to enjoy my creation. "Hey baby?" I heard coming from the living room (yes...dinner often gets eaten in the living room). "Did you do something different to the meatloaf?" YAY...A little recognition of my brilliance!! "Have you tasted it?" Hmmmm...not the comment I was expecting and so I tasted it. Did you know that uncooked rice thrown into a meatloaf does NOT cook through and become soft? It just ends up looking like maggots and is crunchy. Good idea that wasn't thought through! Result...one wasted meatloaf and a very hungry, slighty angry family!

Sometimes, if we would just take a minute and think things through, we might just find that rose soup ain't that great of an idea after all! Being an idealist comes with it's own set of responsibilities. It's good to live with your head in the clouds! But if you don't have your feet planted firmly on the ground, you are liable to end up with...rose soup! Smells good but it's not very satisfying!

Learning balance is probably one of the most difficult things for those of us who are dreamers or idealists. Why can't others see what we are seeing, or better yet, build our ideas into the vision using the recipe we've left them with? Could it be that in all our excitement over the dream, that we've forgotten to throw in a little common sense? Those of us who tend to be dreamers or idealists shouldn't feel bad about it...it's a gift! But as with any gift, we've got to balance the dream with a little common sense! I'm learning! In the meantime, I promise not to serve up too many dinners of raw rice and meatloaf or bowls of rose soup!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home