Sleeve Notes 101: A Mighty Wind

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

A Mighty Wind

I'm a big fan of Christopher Guest movies. For those unfamiliar with his works, he specializes in what is called the Mocumentary. One night late I was a bit bored and looking for something to watch. As luck would have it, the only thing that didn't remotely look like drivel was a movie entitled Best In Show. I had heard a review or two and thought I would check it out. That was the beginning of my love affair with this genre of movie. A year or so later, a friend asked if I had seen Waiting For Guffman. I had not and made a point to see it. Christopher Guest became my hero.

A couple of months ago, on a dreary, Sat. afternoon, I again was searching for something to watch to cure a bad case of boredom. As I flipped through the menu, I stumbled upon A Mighty Wind. "Wasn't that a Christopher Guest movie" I wondered? It was indeed and true to form, it kept me in rapt attention.

Over the past few weeks, I've been doing a bit of study on Native American culture. Particularly the reverence they give to the earth and the significance they place on certain parts of nature. Wind for instance is very symbolic. For some, it is the source of life and breath. Navajo's pray to the four corners of the earth. North is the Spirit of the Wind. It is the power of wisdom. When you pray facing North you are to give thanks for the cleansing winds.

For most Native Americans, the wind is a powerful force that as a spirit brings us gentle breezes filled with sweet scents of flowers in the spring. Wind dances with the leaves on trees and creates a beautiful song like no other. Wind, some believe, blows away the old season and brings in the new...giving us a fresh start.

This morning I re-watched A Mighty Wind, and at the close, the folk groups of which the mocumentary is made, come together to sing a power folk song. As I really listened to the words, I thought of the world that I live in. Our world is filled with so much hatred. Wars are started because of perceived differences or slights. We seem to have lost respect for our fellow man. "If you ain't like me, then I don't particularly like you," seems to be the prevailing attitude.

As I listened to the final number, I asked God to help that wind of change start in me. To blow in a new season of peace and freedom. As more and more of us become vessels for this wind, then perhaps we will be able to effectuate change, not only in our own lives and the lives of those around us, but also in our world. To bring about the winds of change, we've first got to start with ourselves and be willing to allow the wind of God to blow out all the crap that causes bitterness, hatred and division. Only then will we be able to become vessels for God to use as a powerful force to bring about change in our world. "Please God, do a work in me so that I can spread this mighty wind of change so that my world - your world - is filled with your peace! Make me a mighty wind!"

When the blind man sees the picture, when the deaf man hears the word...
We'll still hear the wondrous story of a world where people care
The story of this mighty wind that's blowing every where

Yes, a mighty wind's a blowin', cross the land and cross the sea
It's blowin' peace and freedom, it's blowin' equality

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home