Sleeve Notes 101: Thinking of you!

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Thinking of you!
















Just three short weeks ago we watched Katrina become a major hurricane as she passed over the Gulf of Mexico. For those of us with friends and family in and along the Gulf Shores and New Orleans it was difficult and terrifying to watch. We have waited with baited breath for our loved ones to be found and tried to celebrate, albeit in a very muted way, when they were. As we've so often heard in the past few weeks, things can be replaced, lives can't be.

For the past few days I've watched with dread as Rita entered the Gulf. As she has sucked up the energy from the hotter than usual waters, she has turned herself into another monstrosity very much like her cousin Katrina. The path she is taking again puts those along the Gulf Shores at risk.

Today I've thought about my cousins in Galveston. They've already evacuated, but the uncertainty of what havoc Rita might wreak on what has been their lives for as long as they can remember has got to be hard. My friends in Houston have been on my mind today as well. Friends I've known since I was a kid. It worries me to think about Shawn and his family being uprooted. Mark and Laura recently bought a new house. I want to talk to Mark because I know he's got a stubborn streak a mile long, but I bet he's got a lot more important things to deal with than a chatter with me.

When I read the last update, I noticed that Rita had taken a bit of a turn and, if it continues on this trajectory, will make landfall in Lake Charles, LA. I think I know the entire city of Lake Charles. That's home! Them was my stompin' grounds when I was a kid. If I were to name all the names that come to mind, it would take too long. Please know that you are in my heart and mind! And Leeman, if you read this, please let your parents, Shawn and Mark know that I'm thinking about them! Oh yeah, and tell Mark to call me (he owes me a call any way!).

Whatever direction Rita takes, there will be devestation and human suffering that won't be pretty! Even after all the lessons the government has learned following Katrina, there will still be some that fall through the cracks! I pray God's peace over all of you! Remember that song we used to sing when we were kids in church...

Under His wings, under His wings,
Who from His love can sever?
Under His wings, my soul shall abide,
Safely abide forever.

Psalm 94:1 - His huge outstretched arms protect you - under them you're perfectly safe; his arms fend off all harm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home